Thursday, May 31, 2012

{The Effects of Being} a Master Carpenters Daughter...

Pin It

{The Effects of Being} a Master Carpenters Daughter…



So my Dad is awesome! (I “may” be biased because it is MY Dad, or maybe a hint of Daddy's Girl syndrome kicking in and showing through) But in any event, I know a lot about things that a typical girl wouldn't know and it is because of my Dad that I know these things. Here is a prime example, I love doing hard projects, things that involve power tools and hammers and nails and the occasional blood and band aids, and needless to say I am not afraid to get my hands dirty. Snakes and spiders? Ha.. I laugh in the face of danger… ok not really… I laugh in the face of the things I KNOW aren't poisonous…like a ferocious squirrel…or a rabid lizard… you know the small ones.... Yep... gotta watch out for those rabid lizards... they'll gettcha...

Today my Dad laughed at me when I told him I was going to the hardware store to get some tools I think he laughed because his only daughter is sort of following in his footsteps when it comes to woodworking projects. When I don't know just how dark Ebony stain REALLY is, I call him because he would know and has some in his shop. I know what chair rail, crown moulding, base boards, insets, panels, saw horses, vices and drill bits are and how to; pretreat, stain, and clear coat a piece of wood. All because of my Dad. (I also picked up a few A LOT of car maintenance lessons as well ;) <<<Haha! ) But I know the quality of my Dad's work and when I build my house, I want Dad to do the woodwork in it. I mean, I walk into a Lowe's or a Home Depot and I can pick apart the cabinetry work (and no offense to anyone who is reading this who works for or bought from either of those companies) But I look at how things line up, I look and see if I see the nails from the nail guns, I check to see if the pieces are flush. I check to see what type of wood was used and if it is even worth what they are charging. I always walk away disappointed and what kills me is that most people don't look at these things and pay the money for such poor craftsmanship. I think I know more than any normal girl would about more "boy" type things thanks to my Dad. and I am happy about that, because for the most part... I don't need to wait around for help I can honestly {usually} do what the initials mean...
DO.
IT.
YOURSELF
Bye for now!







0 comments:

Popular Posts

Stay In Touch

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

LP

Lil\'Luna Cast Party Wednesday
Daisy Cottage Designs