Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Open up the Kitchen Sarah!

Pin It


Broccoli Slaw









So today isn’t a DIY but an awesome snack/side dish that I happen to be snacking on in between typing ;)

Now, keep in mind, I HATE (with a passion) coleslaw, I have always hated it I don’t know if it was the vinegar or maybe the amount of mayo or maybe it was a combination of both still on the fence about why I hate it. But for someone to hate it as much as I do to like a dish called “broccoli Slaw” it must be good right? This is a secret family recipe that has been in my family for generations… and last year was the first time I had ever had it. And got the recipe from Mom who got the recipe from my Aunt K. who got it from my Great Aunt M (see what I mean,
Generations)
And anyone who knows me knows that I am not one for sharing secret family recipes… but today.. I am about to open up my recipe book to you, my wonderful readers. I hope you try this and I hope you like it. And if you do try it let me know what you think and if you made any changes to the recipe (it won’t hurt my feelings I promise. but let me know what you did different)

and I also noticed while taking pics for this post.. this is the only recipe that I can think of that I make that uses all of the measuring cups haha!



Broccoli Slaw
Recipe by Mom

¼ cup veggie oil
1/3 cup Cider Vinegar
½ cup Sugar
1 bag of broccoli slaw
2 Green onions, with the green and white separated and the green part chopped
1 package of CHICKEN ramen noodles
1 cup sunflower kernels
½ cup Cashews  (<< actual recipe is 1 cup but I don’t really like that many in mine so I reduced it to ½ cup)

Directions
in a small mixing bowl mix the oil vinegar, sugar and the seasoning packet from the noodles to make the dressing
in a larger mixing bowl toss the broccoli and onions together, break up the noodles and add it to the broccoli mixture, pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture then 1 hour
 before serving add the nuts and kernels. (I add this immediately after adding the dressing, it is really up to you, how crunchy do you want your cashews and sunflower kernels? because it will absorb the dressing)
Refrigerate what isn’t eaten… if there is any left.

IMO- I happen to like it better the next day, the noodles, cashews and sunflowers have a chance to absorb a little bit of that dressing and it just tastes better to me this way.
Enjoy!



0 comments:

Popular Posts

Stay In Touch

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

LP

Lil\'Luna Cast Party Wednesday
Daisy Cottage Designs